Link to Maritime History Archive Web Site
single pixel Page Header single pixel
single pixel single pixel

Maritime History Archive Public Photo Catalogue

Home breadcrumb separator New Search breadcrumb separatorPrevious Image breadcrumb separatorNext Image breadcrumb separatorView Record List

Photo Title: "Caribou" (Ship) docked at St. John's, Newfoundland
Image No.: PF-333.193
Image Location: PF333/pf333_193.jpg
Date of Creation: [between 1925 and 1942]
Physical Description: 1 photograph : b&w ; 8 x 5.5 cm
Biography/Admin History: Built by A. Goodwin-Hamilton S. Adamson Limited in Rotterdam, Holland, and launched in June, 1925. 2223 gross tons, official number 151660, steel, registered in St. John's Newfoundland in 1925 and owned and operated by the Newfoundland (Government) Railway. Used to carry freight and passengers between Port aux Basques and North Sydney, Nova Scotia from 1925 to 1942. On October 14, 1942 with 238 passengers and crew while on a regular run was attacked and sunk by a German submarine. The 101 people who survived were rescued by ships from the Royal Canadian Navy. A memorial was erected at Port aux Basques in memory of those who died.
Custodial History: Photographs belonged to Violet Dowding Cluett. Her daughter, Ruby, donated them to the Maritime History Archive in 2007.
Collector: Violet (Dowding) Cluett
Source Donor: Ruby Kocurko
Collection Title: Violet Dowding Cluett Collection
Restrictions on Access: Copyright expired.
Copyright: p
Physical Condition: Good
Subjects: Caribou (Ship).

single pixel single pixel
single pixel

© 2003 - 2005 Maritime History Archive, Memorial University