Link to Maritime History Archive Web Site
single pixel Page Header single pixel
single pixel single pixel

Maritime History Archive Public Photo Catalogue

Home breadcrumb separator New Search breadcrumb separatorPrevious Image breadcrumb separatorNext Image breadcrumb separatorView Record List


Photo Title: M.V. "Christmas Seal" entering Twillingate Harbour
Image No.: PF-001.1-E08a
Image Location: Box01/pf001_e008a1.jpeg
Date of Creation: [between 1947 and 1970]
Physical Description: 1 print : col. ; 14 x 20 cm
Biography/Admin History: "Christmas Seal" was built at Fairhaven, Massachusetts, in 1943, 149 gross tons, official number 178583. Originally named USCB "Shearwater" and owned by the United States Army. Renamed "Christmas Seal" in 1947, registered at St. John's, Newfoundland and owned by the Newfoundland Tuberculosis Association of St. John's. The vessel sailed to isolated outports on the coast of Newfoundland, screening residents for tuberculosis until 1970 when the services of the vessel were no longer required. She was sold to H.C. Mullett Limited, Lewisporte, Newfoundland and was used as an oceanographic research platform before sinking due to an explosion and fire 13 May 1976 near Egg Island, Nova Scotia.
Collector: Capt. Harry Stone
Source Donor: Donated by Capt. Harry Stone
Collection Title: Capt. Harry Stone Collection, Part 1
Associated Material: PF-055 and textual material in R95-42
Restrictions on Access: Copyright held by the Maritime History Archive. No image from the fonds may be reproduced for research or publication without permission from the archivist.
Copyright: c-mha
Physical Condition: Good
Notes: Title taken from caption on image. Scope and content taken from caption on front of print.
Subjects: Christmas Seal (Ship).

single pixel single pixel
single pixel

© 2003 - 2005 Maritime History Archive, Memorial University