single pixel
Menu One
single pixel
Menu Two
single pixel
Menu Three
single pixel
Menu Four
single pixel
Menu Five
single pixel
Menu Seven
single pixel
Menu Six
single pixel
Menu Eight
single pixel
Menu Nine
single pixel

single pixel
Facebook icon

What's New at the MHA

  • Collins' Pocket Diary, 1899
    Pocket diary authored by an unknown person. Contains entries dated January 1, 1899 - November 18, 1899. Makes reference to the following Newfoundland communities and areas: Placentia, Harbour Grace, North Arm, Conception Harbour, Holyrood, Witless Bay Line, St. Mary's, Catalina and Carbonear.
    (Added August 30, 2021)

  • Greek Seaman Discharge Book, 1892-1900
    A discharge book for a Greek seaman, registration number 15385. His name, father's name, place born and birth date is listed.
    (Added August 30, 2021)

  • "Rambles in St. John's in the Last Century" Lecture, after 1902
    Lecture by W.H. Goodland includes topics such as St. John's Harbour, Fort Amherst, Fort William, Colonial Building, Garrison Hill, hauling wood, seal fishery and the Regatta.
    (Added August 12, 2021)

  • Manuscript regarding Public Debt in Newfoundland, ca. 1934
    Manuscript written by A.H. Murray regarding public debt in Newfoundland, as well as the decline in the fishery.
    (Added August 12, 2021)

  • William Popple Manuscript, 1709
    Original and a transcript of a manuscript belonging to A.H. Murray which refers to instructions given to the Commander in Chief of the Newfoundland Convoy with reference to conditions within the Colony of Newfoundland.
    (Added August 12, 2021)

  • Published Journals from 1860 and 1870, dated 1860-1893
    Bound volume containing published journals. The first is titled, "Extracts from a Journal of a Voyage of Visitation, in the 'Hawk', 1859, by the Bishop of Newfoundland", published in 1860. The second is titled, "Journal of a Visitation by the Right Reverend J.B.K. Kelly, D.D., Coadjutor Bishop of Newfoundland, in the Church Ship 'Star', July-Octiober, 1869", published in 1870. Those publciations are bound together with "The Church in Newfoundland, Occassional Paper", No. 37, 1893.
    (Added August 12, 2021)

  • Unidentified handwritten manuscripts, 19--
    Three page manuscript, author unknown. One page is regarding the "Newfoundland" Sealing Disaster of 1914, and the other 2 pages are regarding the J.V.R. bowling tournament in St. John's, undated.
    (Added July 6, 2021)

  • Chief Engineer's Log Book for the S.S. "Clyde", 1948
    Chief Engineer's Log Book for the S.S. "Clyde", July 28 - September 18, 1948 from St. John's, to Williams Port and St. Anthony, Newfoundland, to Sydney, Nova Scotia, and back to Newfoundland again. Kept by C. Cook, Chief Engineer. A list of other crew members is recorded, including M. Walsh, 2nd Engineer; J. Lush, Fireman; P. Breen, Fireman; G. Jackman, Fireman; G. Masters, Trimmer; and C. Noseworthy, 2nd Engineer.
    (Added July 6, 2021)

  • Dr. Valerie Burton Collection
    Photograph of the vessel "John Llewelyn", as well as a 4 page article from the "Daily News" containing the 3rd of a 4-part story by Cassie Brown about Capt. Job Barbour called "48 Days Adrift".
    (Added July 6, 2021)

  • "Sagona" Post Card Collection, 1931
    Two post cards of rescuers from the "Viking" disaster.
    (Added June 11, 2021)

  • "Trinidad Prices Current", May 7, 1880
    Vol. IX, No. 193, of the "Trinidad Prices Current" newspaper dated May 7, 1880, compiled and forwarded by Campbell Hannay & Co., Shipping and General Commision Merchants. Shows prices of various commodities including fish, and records the arrivals and imports, and departures and exports.
    (Added June 7, 2021)

  • Holletts' Fisheries Ltd. Shareholders Minute Book, 1928
    Three pages of a shareholders minute book for Holletts' Fisheries Ltd.
    (Added June 7, 2021)

  • Fred H. Ellis Photograph Collection, 192-
    Collection contains photographs of vessels, mostly Newfoundland registered.
    (Added May 31, 2021)

  • Log Book of the "Therese White", 1924
    Typescript of a log book of the American schooner "Therese White" by Columbus O'Donnell Iselin, skipper of the vessel. The log book consists of a title page, crew list, and 45 numbered pages giving an account of Iselin's first (possibly) voyage from Quincy, MA, to Newfoundland. Two of the crew members, possibly Jack and Chatter Shears, were Newfoundlanders with family in Robinsons. Included at the back of the log book are 54 black and white photographs of the schooner, the crew, and maritime and inland scenery.
    (Added May 10, 2021)

  • Clarenville Ship Building Project Photograph Collection, 1943-1946
    Photos of shipbuilding at Clarenville, Newfoundland. Ships included are some of the Splinter Fleet, such as the "Burin", "Bonne Bay" and "Codroy".
    (Added May 6, 2021)

  • George J. Carter fonds, 1893-1922
    Fonds consists of 2 journals - Herring Neck, 1893-1895, and Trading Accounts, 1894-1922. Also includes an undated ledger with Herring Neck accounts.
    (Added May 01, 2021)

  • Unknown Business Ledger, 1896
    Ledger, possibly belonging to George Jerrett of Brigus.
    (Added April 8, 2021)

  • Master's Letter Book of the Catherine of Waterford, 1750-1757
    Photocopy of the Master's Letter Book of the Catherine of Waterford, Ireland, 1750-1757.
    (Added April 1, 2021)

  • Gerald S. Doyle Christmas Cards Collection, between 1890 and 1920
    Six Christmas cards produced by Gerald S. Doyle Ltd., containing photographs of Newfoundland sealing vessels, including "Leopard", "Neptune", "Falcon" and "Kite", along with descriptions of those vessels.
    (Added March 22, 2021)

  • Certificate of British Registry, S.S. "Kyle", 1962
    Photocopy of the Certificate of British Registry for the S.S. "Kyle", official number 133532, dated 3 December 1962.
    (Added March 8, 2021)

  • 1881 Crew Lists Database
    The 1881 Crew List Database contains the names of more than 376,500 seamen taken from the first 300 of the 358 boxes comprising all voyages ending in 1881. This is a work in progress with several thousand names transcribed monthly.
    (Added July 27, 2011. Updated April 29, 2019)

  • Commissioned Fleet Auxiliary (T 124 X) Database
    This database contains the names of more than 9,600 seamen taken from the T 124 X crew agreements of the vessel Sunhill, Official No. 104354. These crew agreements called "Agreement and Account of Crew-Commissioned Fleet Auxiliary" cover the years 1914 - 1920. This database is a work in progress with approximately 200 names transcribed monthly.
    (Added May 14, 2014. Updated July 19, 2017)

single pixel single pixel
single pixel single pixel single pixel single pixel single pixel single pixel
single pixel

© 2003 - 2012 Maritime History Archive, Memorial University