- The Move
A video on the resettlement of the Rumboldt family
in 1968.


Image Acknowledgements

  En français


Ivanhoe (pop. 1961, 71) was a resettled fishing community on the southwest side of the island of Ireland's Eye, facing The Thoroughfare between Ireland's Eye and Random Island. The island of Ireland's Eye was used by fishermen from at least the 1600s and was associated with the nearby commercial centre of Trinity. Early references to Ireland's Eye do not distinguish between the island and specific communities: Ivanhoe was not reported until 1891. In that year Old Tilt, as the community was then called, recorded a population of 21. The community was renamed Ivanhoe in 1917 after the Ivany family.

The people, exclusively Church of England throughout its early history, attended church services in Ireland's Eye and the children went to school there until 1921, when a school was opened in Ivanhoe. A church was also built between Ivanhoe and Traytown and a cemetery consecrated.

By 1921 the population had reached 64 and grew slowly until 1945 when 101 people were recorded. Thereafter, the community declined in size until the 1960s, when the island communities resettled. When the nearest substantial merchant, in Thoroughfare, moved from the area, the remaining residents of Ivanhoe soon followed. By 1966 the resettlement of the community was complete. In 1990 a few decaying houses and the church, its roof gone, marked the site.

From the Encyclopedia of Newfoundland and Labrador

St. Nicholas Anglican Church, Ivanhoe

St. Nicholas Anglican Church, Ivanhoe
Larger Version

single pixel single pixel
single pixel single pixel single pixel single pixel single pixel single pixel
single pixel

© 2003 - 2012 Maritime History Archive, Memorial University